I don’t want to toot my own horn, but I think I’ve perfected the most delicious apple crisp recipe! The tartness of the warm apples paired with the sweetness of the maple brown sugar topping is a match made in heaven. I’m not a big pumpkin pie fan, so I love making this apple crisp as another dessert option for Thanksgiving! This recipe is so easy to prepare, and you can even make it ahead of time and freeze it for another day. If any of you try this recipe, comment below & let me know how it turned out for you!
3/4 cup flour
3/4 cup maple brown sugar flavored oatmeal
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. freshly ground nutmeg
pinch of salt
1/2 cup of cold unsalted butter
You’ll likely have a bit of topping left over – either pile it all onto the crisp or save it for next time!
4-5 large apples (the more tart, the better – I like Granny Smith)
1/3 cup flour
1/3 cup unsalted butter (melted)
1/3 cup milk (or heavy cream for extra richness)
1 tsp. vanilla
2 TBSP lemon juice
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. cinnamon
Generous pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Combine all of the ingredients for the topping in a large bowl with a fork or pastry blender until small crumbs are formed. While you’re preparing the filling, place the bowl in the fridge.
- Peel and thinly slice the apples, then place into a separate large bowl
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and melted butter. Stir in the heavy cream, vanilla, and lemon juice until well-combined. Then stir in the brown sugar, nutmeg, cinnamon, and salt.
- Pour the butter mixture over the apples and toss to coat.
- Place the apple mixture into an 8×8 baking dish, and spread into an even layer.
- Grab the oatmeal topping from the fridge, and sprinkle evenly over the apples.
- Bake for 35 minutes (or until the topping is golden brown and set).
- If you’re patient, let the apple crisp sit for a few minutes before serving to give it some time to set up, but I won’t judge you if you skip this step 😉
- Grab a cup of coffee, a bowl of apple crisp and ENJOY! Add some vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce if you’re feeling fancy!