Happy Wednesday, friends! Since being quarantined, I’ve seen so many people on social media doing alllll the baking, so I got inspired! I made my favorite healthy banana bread and shared that with y’all over on Instagram Stories last week, and the other day I decided to make jalapeño cheese bread. I’ve been wanting to try making this kind of bread for a while now, and I’m so glad I finally got around to it – it turned out AMAZING! I’m drooling just thinking about it! This bread is so easy to make, and requires no kneading whatsoever. Just mix the ingredients, let it rise overnight, and bake it the next day! I served mine warm with an egg and avocado on it for breakfast, but I also love using it for sandwiches (it’s so versatile). Try making it, and let me know your thoughts! You’re going to be hooked 😉
3 cups of all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of instant yeast
1 cup of shredded sharp white cheddar cheese (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top)
1-2 sliced jalapeños (fresh or canned)
1 1/2 cups of room temperature water
- Whisk together all-purpose flour salt, and instant yeast in a large mixing bowl.
- Roughly chop the jalapeño(s) and shred the cheese.
- Add the jalapeños and cheese to the mixing bowl with your dry ingredients, and stir to combine.
- Stir in the room temperature water. You may need a little less than 1 1/2 cups, you may need a little more. The dough should be pretty thick and scrappy.
- Cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap, and let the dough rest for 12-18 hours at room temperature.
- When you’re ready to bake the bread, preheat the oven to 450. Stick a 6-quart cast iron Dutch Oven into the oven for 30 minutes to heat.
- While the pan heats up, scrape the dough out onto a well-floured surface. The dough should be puffy and loose at this point, with little bubbles in it.
- Shape the dough into a ball, coated with flour on the outside (don’t knead it).
- Set the dough onto a large piece of parchment paper and cover with plastic wrap until the pan is ready.
- When the pan is heated, remove the plastic wrap from the dough, and sprinkle a little handful of cheese on top of the ball of dough. I also added some jalapeño slices on top as well!
- Lift the dough and parchment paper together into the hot pan so the parchment paper lines the bottom of the pan.
- Bake covered for 30 minutes, remove the lid, and bake uncovered for another 15 minutes so the exterior gets golden brown.
And that’s it, it’s so simple! If you want to omit the jalapeños and cheese to just have a plain loaf of bread, you can totally do that as well, and it’s just as delicious. Be sure to try your bread as soon as it comes out of the oven with a little butter and a sprinkle of salt on top (warm bread is the best part)!